On one hand, it’s nice to be in the stage of life when your kids are old enough to be left home alone. On the other hand, if you have a daughter like mine, leaving the house can cause much grief and anxiety. It took a long time for us to put together a “communication center”, but once we finally did it, my 10 year old daughter is finally comfortable with me leaving! If I knew this was all it took, I would have done it YEARS ago! Here is what we came up with:
- 1 Magnet Board. This is where we put our:
- Family Calendar
- Notes from school
- Chore List
- Other documents that need immediate attention.
- 1 White Board. This is where we keep
- The daily agenda
- Where a person will be and most importantly to my 10 year old… what time we (or really I) will be home!
- An ongoing grocery list that anyone can add to.
We are keeping this in a narrow hall right by the door to the garage. Despite the fact that it took me about 3 hours, and many holes in the wall to just get it hung, I am SO happy with it! We are loving this new system. Do you have a communication center yet? Now I can go to the gym in the morning. Write on the board, where I am, and what time I’m coming back. Then she won’t be calling my cell phone twenty times or watching out the window for my return!
(We’ve linked up today with Works for Me Wednesday! Check it out for more helpful family ideas)