1. Elizabeth
    September 10, 2012

My mom didn’t give us a chance to earn anything back. Anything on the floor went into big black garbage bags, then into the car headed to Goodwill. Her attitude was “you knew the rules, you were told repeatededly to pick things up, you knew the consequences.”

2. angee
    September 10, 2012

Oh, I so needed this tonite. I can’t even WALK into my kids’ bedroom anymore! We are starting this TOMORROW! Thank you!

3. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures
    September 11, 2012

I love this idea!

4. Gina
    September 11, 2012

Not sure that will work with my 2 year old… :)

5. RJ
    September 30, 2012

Interesting concept – but donating to the needy, the children’s preschool, the church nursery, or keeping the items off-limits for a day, a week or a month would seem like a better solution to me. If I had bought a nice toy for a child in my family only to find it had been thrown away because children are careless (obviously, given the point of the post altogether! :-) ) I wouldn’t be very happy. In fact, from that point on, I would probably buy them clothes instead. Game and puzzle pieces or small parts that don’t get claimed would render the game, puzzle, etc. less usable and diminished in value to anyone else. Yes, this idea definitely helps to reduce clutter, but I’m thinking there’s still a few “bugs” left to be worked out of the system. Admittedly, I was a sensitive child, but I would have been very upset if my toys had been thrown out (I realize that it’s not immediate and they can earn them back). Still, I see it as potentially instilling unnecessary fear in the child. I think at that age, my parents just supervised us picking them up – like a cleanup time before bed. We also had a “play corner” in the living room when we were very young. Or they made us put one thing away before we got another one out. We had a set of those plastic shelves with labeled (and picture-guided) boxes for each kind of toy, and a large chest for dolls and stuffed animals. All of our outside toys had to be picked up after dinner and put back into the shed or clubhouse. That was just the rule – we finished dinner, and we were sent outside (not necessarily expected to remember although we usually did, I think) to pick them up before it got dark and they got all wet from being on the ground. Taking away some toy privileges altogether the next day might be an alternative solution as well. I really think, though, that just coming alongside the kids and working with them can be helpful – children follow behavior modeled for them. Having said that, I realize that children are different and what works for one does not work for all. But just some ideas and thoughts… I know all you moms out there want the best for your kids! :-) (P.S., I have taught kids between the ages of 2 and 10 over a 13-year period.)

6. Kay
    October 4, 2012

I am going to do this, I have seen thhis idea once before but yourpost has moved it up my things to do list :-) I actually wrote a few signs just last week and posted them around for my teenager – but this idea might work better for the younger kids …

7. GA
    December 27, 2012

While I understand where “RJ” is coming from, and I agree with not always throwing things away/giving to charity, I think this is a GOOD solution for kids who won’t pick up after themselves. I would like to see the original post edited to include that if something is valuable, etc., that it gets put away until it can be “purchased” back. I was wondering about this until I scrolled down to read additional comments. A little “trauma” is good for kids! They learn that the world doesn’t revolve around them!

8. youtu.be
    July 19, 2013

We’re a number of volunteers in addition to establishing a brand new design within our online community. Your web site supplied all of us along with helpful data so that you can works of art on. You have done an impressive undertaking and also the whole group will likely be grateful to your account.

9. unusual childrens bed
    September 5, 2014

Appreciation to my father who told me about thbis weblog, this blog is truly awesome.