1. MamaGeek
    February 12, 2008

This is a very clever idea. Do you watch Jon & Kate + 8 on TLC. They frequently rave about this idea!

2. Sarah
    February 12, 2008

I have never seen it, but sounds like they are on the right track!

3. Lori
    June 23, 2008

We started color coding our family when our twin boys were born. They are 3 & 4 of six kids! Being as we could not look at them and tell them apart it was necessary to put bracelets on their wrist and dress them in different colors. To this day they are Blue or Green :) Really made a difference in our family.

4. Sarah
    June 23, 2008

Lori – That is soo funny! I always figured that at least the parents of twins could tell them apart, but that is sooo interesting to me! Do they ever switch shirts to confuse you?

5. MOMof5
    March 24, 2011

This idea of color coding works very well for us. Our youngest is 2yrs. old, she is able to set out plates, bowls and cups for her siblings at each meal times. (Only if she wishes too.)

6. Emily
    October 25, 2012

We color-code too! My mom color coded her seven children, so I grew up with it. We even have one recent family portrait where each of us wore our color, and our spouses & children also wore our color… Made it easy to tell who belonged to whom.

In our house now, my six children are color coded in everything from plates & cups, to backpacks, to clothing, to bedding. If something doesn’t come in all colors, we label it with their color. I note things on our calendars in their color. The best is marking clothing. Every item of clothing is marked with a dot of fabric paint near the tag (or collar or waistband if there is no tag), and socks are marked on one toe. If something is handed down, we just add new fabric paint on top of the old. Everyone in our house, and even friends and non-family helpers can sort the laundry. Most of my kids have learned their colors by first knowing who has that color. We still tell our 3-year old twins things like “go put this in the garbage can that is D’s color”, because they’re more likely to get it right than if we tell them the garbage can is green. :)

7. shelly
    March 5, 2013

Hi I found your site by a search on color coding. I too color code with a family of 6, it just makes things easier. I also designed a cup that changes colors and can also be personalized with names. So no more trying to find that one cup with your color/name. All cups can be changed to your name. Its called the MyColourCup, check it out.
    Shelly