Keeping your bathroom organized can make a big difference in how functional and pleasant it is to use. One area that can be particularly challenging to keep organized is the space under the bathroom sink. This area can become cluttered with cleaning supplies, toiletries, and other items, making it difficult to find what you need and to clean the space effectively.
Some common problems of disorganization under the bathroom sink include:
- Difficulty finding what you need
- Clutter and messiness
- Difficulty cleaning the area
- Lack of space for new items
- Difficulty keeping the area organized over time
By learning how to organize under the bathroom sink, you can make the most of the space, keep it clean, and have easy access to the items you need. We will show you how to assess the space, sort and declutter, choose organizers, create a system, and maintain the organization for a functional and pleasant bathroom.
Assessing the Space
Before you can start organizing a space, you’ll need to assess it.
- You’ll want to measure out the dimensions of the space under the bathroom sink, including the width, depth, and height.
- Take note of the shape of the space, including any curves or angles.
- Consider the number of items you need to store in the space and the frequency of use as well.
- Identify any areas that are difficult to access or utilize.
Once you have a clear understanding of the available space you can start thinking about how to make the most of it. Here are some ways to maximize the space and make it more functional:
- Use organizers such as baskets, bins, and shelves to make the most of vertical space.
- Consider using tension rods to create additional storage.
- Use small plastic containers to store smaller items like hair ties and bobby pins.
- Utilize under-sink organizers to keep cleaning supplies and other items in order.
- Install pull-out shelves to make it easier to access items at the back of the cabinet.
- By assessing the space and using organizers and storage solutions, you can turn a cluttered and disorganized area into a functional and well-organized space.
Sort and Declutter
Sorting and decluttering are essential steps in the organizing process. Clutter and excess items can make it difficult to see what you already have and make it challenging to create an efficient and functional storage system.
Here are some tips to help you sort and declutter under the bathroom sink:
- Start by taking everything out of the cabinet.
- Sort items into categories, such as cleaning supplies, toiletries, and other bathroom essentials.
- Decide which items you no longer need or haven’t used in a long time.
- Get rid of anything that is expired or empty.
- Donate or give away items that are in good condition but no longer needed.
- Discard items that are broken, damaged or not useful.
It’s also important to consider the frequency of use when deciding what to keep, donate or throw away. Keep items that are frequently used, while items that are rarely used can be considered for donation or disposal.
Another tip is to use the “One in, One out” rule, where for every new item you bring into the bathroom, one item has to leave to maintain the balance and avoid clutter.
By sorting and decluttering before organizing, you’ll be able to see exactly what you have and create a more efficient and functional storage system. It will also make it easier to maintain the organization in the long run.
There are many different types of organizers that can be used to organize the space under the bathroom sink. You can use what you have or purchase new ones. Some more popular options include (but not limited to):
These can be used to store items like towels, washcloths, or other small items. They can also be used to corral items like shampoo bottles or cleaning supplies.
Bins are great for storing items like toiletries, makeup, or other small items. They can also be used to separate cleaning supplies from other items.
These can be used to create additional storage space, and can be especially useful for frequently used items.
Under-sink organizers: These are designed specifically to fit under the bathroom sink and can help to maximize the space.
Some Ideas for keeping that busy bathroom organized:
Hair dryer holders
A hair dryer holder can be mounted to the side of the cabinet or to the door to keep the hair dryer easily accessible.
These can be used to store makeup, brushes, and other small items in a way that makes them easy to find.
A toothbrush holder can be mounted to the side of the cabinet or to the door to keep toothbrushes easily accessible. This is very hand.
A shower caddy can be hung on the side of the cabinet to keep items like shampoo, conditioner and soap easily accessible.
Creating a System
Once you have chosen your organizers, the next step is to create a system for storing items under the bathroom sink. Here are some tips to help you create an efficient and functional storage system:
- Utilize vertical space by stacking items or using over-the-door organizers
- Group like items together (e.g. all cleaning supplies in one basket, all toiletries in another)
- Use clear containers to easily see the contents
- Label items or baskets to easily identify the contents
- Make use of door organizers to store items like hair styling tools
- Create a designated area for frequently used items
By creating a system that makes it easy to find items you will be able to keep the space organized and functional over time. The key is to make sure that the items are easily accessible and that the system is easy to maintain.
Maintaining the Organization
Once you have created an organized and functional storage system under your bathroom sink, it’s important to maintain it to keep the space organized. Here are some suggestions for how to keep the space organized on an ongoing basis:
- Regularly declutter and get rid of items that are no longer needed or used.
- Set aside time each week or month to reorganize items that have been displaced.
- Make sure to put items back in their designated place after use.
- Create a cleaning schedule for the sink and cabinet area to ensure it stays clean and hygienic.
- Make use of reminder apps or calendar notifications to remind you of your organization and cleaning schedule.
By regularly maintaining the organization, you’ll be able to keep the space functional, easy to use, and pleasant to look at.
We went over many things for organizing under your bathroom sink including assessing the space, sorting and decluttering, choosing organizers, creating a system, and maintaining the organization. You can now create a functional, well-organized, and aesthetic space under your bathroom sink. We encourage you to start organizing your bathroom sink area today to enjoy the benefits of a functional and pleasant bathroom.