With football season right around the corner, it’s a great time to start gathering recipes for your game day festivities. From entrees to appetizers, I hope this article will give you a few new recipes to try.
Here are some of my favorite game day recipes.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork
If you are a pulled pork fan, I think you will fall in love with this version. It has just the right amount of tanginess and is super tender and juicy.
- 3 lbs. boneless pork roast, cubed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Hamburger buns
- Extra barbecue sauce for serving (optional)
- Crispy fried onions (optional)
- Sliced cheese (optional)
- Coleslaw (optional)
- Mix cumin, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Season meat with spices by rolling meat in the spice mixture.
- Mix vinegar, barbecue sauce, and 1 cup chicken broth.
- Set instant pot to saute mode and heat olive oil.
- Brown pork on all sides. Depending on the size of your instant pot, you might have to do multiple batches.
- Turn the instant pot off and use remaining ¼ cup broth to de-glaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add back the meat and vinegar, barbecue sauce, and broth mixture.
- Seal and cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release for 10 minutes.
- Shred meat and add some juices from the instant pot until it is as juicy as you want it.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
- Add extra barbecue sauce, crispy fried onions, cheese, or coleslaw if desired.
Yummy dip feels like a staple that should be at every watch party! Not everyone likes artichoke dip, but for those that do, this is a recipe that is sure to please!
- 1 6-ounce jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- Cayenne pepper
- Place the artichoke hearts, parsley, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor. (If you don’t have a food processor, a blender will also work.) Blend until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Add sour cream and blend until smooth.
- Place dip into a serving bowl and stir in salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Serve with crackers, toast, or raw vegetables.
Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese Spread
For all the garlic lovers! This dip is super quick and easy to make, making it a perfect late addition to your gathering.
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic, finely minced
- ¾ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 12-ounce container whipped cream cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine garlic, Italian season, salt, and onion powder.
- Add cream cheese and gently fold in seasonings.
- Store in an airtight container at least 1 hour.
- Stir once before serving with crackers or chips.
Quick Chili for Game Day
Chili is a classic game day recipe. This favorite can be made an hour or two before the game and kept warm in your slow cooker.
- 1 pound hamburger
- Dash of pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Can tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can chili beans (buy a spiced variety for extra flavor)
- 1 can kidney beans
- Chili powder
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (optional for those who like chunkier chili)
- Brown meat in soup pot.
- Add onion, onion salt, salt, and pepper to the meat as you brown it.
- Then add tomato soup and 1 ½ cup water (use less water if juice from beans is used).
- Add strewed tomatoes if desired.
- Season with chili powder to desired taste.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add beans and heat through.
Sweet n’ Sour Meatballs
Meatballs make both a great main dish and a yummy appetizer. The meatballs and sauce in this recipe are full of flavor.
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Dash of garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Mix all ingredients.
- Form into small balls.
- Roll in flour and brown in oil until cooked through, adding a dash of garlic salt to the oil.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cans pineapple chunks
- 2/3 cup vinegar (or a little less)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Green peppers (add as many as you would like)
- Dash to ¼ teaspoon ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently until sauce thickens.
- Add sauce and meatballs to a crock pot to keep warm.
- Serve on noodles or as an appetizer.
It tastes better than it sounds, trust me! This was one of my favorite snacks my mom made as a kid. I think it would make the perfect addition to your game day recipes! The peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar combine for a delicious sweet treat.
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- Measure cereal into a large bowl.
- In a one-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute.
- Stir and cook 30 seconds longer or until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar and shake until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
This crunchy favorite is another dessert-like snack. The best part? It only takes minutes to make, so another batch can easily be made if you run out.
- 7 large marshmallows OR 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 stick margarine
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 9 to 12 cups popped popcorn
- Cook marshmallows, butter, and brown sugar in microwave on 100 percent power for 3 minutes.
- Add baking soda and stir.
- Cook additional 30 seconds or until marshmallows are melted.
- Pour over popcorn and stir while sauce mixture is warm and easily mixed.
Enjoy your game day and these game day recipes! Hope your team brings home a victory!