Who doesn’t love a Keto Mozzarella Stick Air Fryer recipe?! Crispy, crunchy outside made of almond flour, spices, and pork rind crumbs, all covering bite sized chunks of creamy mozzarella cheese, these air fried mozzarella sticks are perfect for quick snacks, or an easy side dish for anybody following a ketogenic diet or a low-carb diet
Both kids and adults love mozzarella string cheese sticks. They’re one of the most common appetizers when you go out to eat at a restaurant. But, with this keto mozzarella sticks recipe, you don’t have to feel all the guilt that you would from a traditional deep fried mozzarella stick recipe. We don’t need a fryer full of oil or even any cooking spray, just the ingredients needed to make your own low-carb mozzarella sticks!
If you’re looking for another easy keto recipe that satisfies those cravings when you want that fried food, then you have to try these Keto Steak Bites. They’re made in the Air Fryer, just like these low carb mozzarella sticks and have that nice crispy, crunchy exterior you’re craving.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Recipe
- Fast! You can make 8 servings in only 30 minutes
- Crunchy and crisp exterior like traditional cheese sticks
- Easy appetizer, snack or side dish
- Great for the whole family- both kids and adults alike always love mozzarella sticks
- Keto, low carb, and satisfying
You only need a handful of very common pantry staple ingredients to make these cheese sticks. These are all common things you most likely already have on hand while following a low carb, keto diet.
- Block of mozzarella cheese
- Pork rind crumbs
- Large eggs
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Almond flour
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Keto Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Here are the incredibly easy steps and instructions on how to make your own homemade mozzarella cheese sticks from home in the Air Fryer.
Once you’ve cubed your mozzarella cheese into small bite-size blocks, place the pieces into the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
While the cheese is chilling, preheat the Air Fryer to 400F.
In a shallow bowl, add almond flour, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
In another shallow separate bowl, add the pork rinds.
Add eggs to a third bowl and beat them.
Remove your cheese pieces from the freezer and coat them in the almond flour and then dip them into the beaten egg mixture before pressing them into the pork rind crumbs.
Carefully place the covered cheese bites into a pan or onto a rack in the Air Fryer.
Cook for 8-10 minutes or until they are browned and crispy on the exterior.
Remove from Air Fryer, serve, and enjoy.
These keto cheese sticks are best enjoyed right when you make them. This is when the cheese is the most ooey, gooey and the exterior is the most crispy and crunchy. If they sit and cool for too long before you try to eat them, the cheese won’t be melting or stretchy like traditional mozzarella sticks.
For best results, I don’t typically recommend trying to save many fried cheese sticks for later. However, if that is what you want to do, store these sticks in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
When you want to enjoy these cheese sticks again later, skip the microwave for reheating, and instead, reheat them for just a few minutes in the Air Fryer, just like how you made them originally.
Using the Air Fryer helps make sure that you get the melty cheese and crispy exterior coating that you know and love with traditional mozzarella sticks.
Tips and Variations
- We usually suggest using an Air Fryer with a tray or rack for these mozzarella bites, but you can add your mozzarella sticks to an Air Fryer with an Air Fryer basket if desired. Either way, it may be helpful to shake the basket or roll the sticks on the tray or rack while cooking so they can cook evenly and turn a nice golden brown on all sides.
- The required cooking time needed for your cheese sticks may vary depending on the size of your sticks also.
- Keep in mind that different Air Fryer models and makes of them may cook a little differently and may require you to use more or less cooking time.
- We used pork rind crumbs instead of the traditional bread crumbs or panko crumbs because they tend to work better in keto reipes by keeping the carb count down and keeping appropriate fat counts.
- Never stack your mozzarella sticks keto style in the Air Fryer tray or basket. If you stack them, the Air Fryer doesn’t have enough room to circulate the hot air around all of the cheese sticks to cook them properly. Always place your cheese sticks in a single layer on the tray or on the Air Fryer basket.
- If you want to make clean up easier, you can place an Air Fryer approved piece of parchment paper. I like to cut it so it first the air fryer tray or basket. Then once you’ve used the fryer to cook your cheese sticks, you can just remove the parchment paper and toss it in the trash alongside the crumbs that may fall from the coating of the cheese sticks. The only thing you have to worry about while doing this, is making sure the hot air can circulate on all sides. I either poke a few holes in the piece of parchment paper or I make sure to shake the basket or tray so all sides of the coated cheese sticks cook evenly.
What can you dip these Air Fryer Keto Mozzarella Sticks in?
Here are a few ideas to dip those tasty keto mozzarella cheese sticks in. Some of these ideas may not follow your kept diet, so be sure to check them out and look at the ingredients before deciding.
- Low-carb marinara sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Spicy buffalo sauce
- 16 oz. Block of mozzarella cheese cut into bite sized cubes or sticks
- 2 C. Pork rind crumbs crusted
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ C. Almond flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
1.Chill the mozzarella cubes/sticks for 30 minutes in the freezer.
2.Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
3.Place the almond flour, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste into a shallow bowl, and stir to combine.
4.Add the pork rind crumbs into another shallow bowl.
5.Beat the eggs, and put them into another bowl.
6.Coat the mozzarella pieces in the almond flour, dip into the eggs and then press into the pork rind crumbs.
7.Place the coated bites into a pan or onto a rack in the air fryer, and cook for 8-10 minutes until browned and crispy.
This is a delcious, quick and easy keto snack or appetizer the whole family will enjoy! Feel free to make your mozzarella pieces whatever size works best for you!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate, it is an estimate.
More Easy Keto Recipes
If you’re looking for more easy ways to stick to your keto diet while enjoying some tasty food, here are a few more ideas and one of our other favorite recipes for a keto diet:
- Keto Friendly Snacks for Busy Moms
- Eating out at Chick fil A while following a keto diet
- Things to eat at Subway while following a keto lifestyle
If you think these easy keto Mozzarella Sticks seem like something you want to try, you can easily grab these ingredients and whip up a batch. They really are one of those perfect ketp appetizers, perfect low carb appetizer, or snacks that can help you stick to your goals while still satisfying your cravings when you want that gooey, cheesy snack.