If you’re looking for a great, quick breakfast, then consider making your own better than fast food style breakfast sandwiches. This easy egg McMuffin recipe can be made in bulk, and is great to make the night before for a quick morning departure, or to freeze for easy mornings during the school year.
If you love quick and easy breakfasts that everyone will love, this homemade egg mcmuffin is what you need! If you want some more fast and easy breakfast ideas that aren’t cereal for those busy mornings, we have some for you!
Another easy idea is a breakfast charcuterie board, tossing all your leftover breakfast things together. It’s the best way to clean out the fridge too!
The best egg mcmuffin recipe
The best egg mcmuffin recipe is so easy to make, and a great breakfast on the go! This recipe is great to make ahead (more on that later) and super easy to adapt for families or batch cooking.
The trick to these breakfast sandwiches is popping them in the oven and toaster oven and they taste even better than anything you could get on at the drive through.
Why you’ll love this breakfast sandwich recipe
- Everyone will enjoy it- both the kids and adults
- Cheaper than running through the drive thru in the morning
- Making your own is typically healthier than getting one from the golden arches
- It’s super easy to make a double batch for leftovers and meal prepping
- You only need a few simple ingredients to make your own homemade egg mcmuffins
Egg McMuffin ingredients
Have you ever thought about what actually makes up an Egg McMuffin? Here are the key ingredients when it comes to making your egg McMuffins:
- English Muffins
- Sausage Patties
- A slice of cheese
How to Make a Homemade Egg McMuffin
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour beaten eggs into the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir eggs often and cook until set into soft curds, about 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove eggs from heat and set aside.
- Build your sandwiches with meat, egg, and cheese.
Leftover sandwiches can be stored deconstructed in an airtight container with the English muffins stored separately at room temperature. Store the sausage, cooked egg and cheese in the container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Additionally, if just storing your sandwiches for later in the day, you can wrap them in a paper towel and store that way. Then reheat when ready to enjoy.
Can I add or change toppings for this homemade egg mcmuffin recipe?
Of course, you can customize these breakfast sandwiches however you want, which makes them so much better than the fast food version.
Looking for some ideas on taking this breakfast sandwich to the next level? Try any of these variations!
Use your favorite variety of english muffin. Gluten free, high protein, multigrain, whole wheat, the possibilities are endless!
Use any cheese you want! Many people enjoy American cheese on a breakfast sandwich, but go with your favorites. Some also enjoy cheddar cheese slices on their sandwiches.
Swap regular sausage for chicken sausage or vegan sausage patties, or even cooked bacon strips.
Add sautéed veggies like mushrooms, spinach, and tomato.
Making vegetarian breakfast sandwiches
If you want to make these vegetarian, you can skip the meat all together, or use a vegan breakfast sausage substitute. The great thing about this is it is really easy to make if you’re serving a group with varied diets, or everyone likes something slightly different. If going the vegan route, be sure to use an egg substitute as well.
These are also great with sautéed veggies, our favorites are spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms, but you can get creative! Some other good ones are peppers and onions. Think anything you would put in an omelette, because it would be great on this sandwich.
A better copycat recipe mcdonald’s egg mcmuffin
A better egg McMuffin recipe is one that suits you and your family’s tastes. The egg mcmuffins are still easy to make and so much healthier than the fast food version! Plus, these are really easy to customize based on who likes what!
How to make an egg mcmuffin without an egg ring
The easiest way to make an egg McMuffin without an egg ring is to simply scramble the eggs, which is what we do. This really brings meal prep time way down instead having to cook all of these eggs individually.
Here’s also a genius hack for making a bunch of egg McMuffin style eggs on a baking sheet. You can cook 12 eggs in 5-6 minutes this way.
Sure, they are square instead of round, but hey, who’s keeping score anyway.
If you’re insistent on making a round egg to really make that copcyat sandwich, try using a mason jar lid or round cookie cutter and press it into the top of the egg to create round servings of egg to use on your egg muffins. It really doesn’t matter if your fluffy eggs are round or not, they just need to fit easily on the toasted English muffin.
The Ultimate Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwich (Freezer Tips)
This egg McMuffin recipe is a a great make ahead breakfast sandwich. The trick is to skip the oven if you plan on freezing them, or making them the night before.
Wrap each sandwich individually in Saran Wrap, and place in a gallon ziplock in the freezer. This way, they will keep for 3-4 weeks in the freezer. Don’t forget to put the date on the bag!
Can you refrigerate breakfast sandwiches?
Yes, you can refrigerate these breakfast sandwiches. The trick is to refrigerate them right after assembly. You can wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil based on how you want to reheat them.
How do you reheat breakfast sandwiches?
If you are making them the night before, and want to get out of the house quickly the next day, I like to make them then wrap them in tin foil.
That way you can fire them into the oven, toaster oven, or even air fryer to reheat them the next day.
If you’re looking for something even speedier, you can also microwave your breakfast sandwiches to reheat them, but be sure to wrap them in Saran Wrap for this and not foil.
- if you want to cut some calories, you can use a healthier english muffin choice. You can also swap the melted butter on the buttery English muffins, and instead use some nonstick cooking spray to keep the eggs from sticking.
- Alternatively, you can make fried eggs instead of scrambled eggs. You can even try sunny side eggs, whatever eggs you and your whole family enjoy.
- If making the egg mcmuffin breakfast sandwiches ahead of time, sometimes I’ll cook the ingredients and store separately, then reheat them individually in the morning and make a freshly toasted English muffin and it feels like a freshly made delicious breakfast sandwich. You can see more make-ahead breakfast tips above.
- Serve your sandwich with a glass of orange juice or hot coffee and enjoy every bite with hot egg, sausage or bacon and melty cheese inside a fluffy English muffin.
Looking for some more family favorite easy recipes? Don’t miss some of our favorites:
- Tater Tot Waffles
- Fried Peach Cobbler Hack With Biscuits
- Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings With Biscuits
A Better Egg McMuffin Recipe
This is a better than fast food breakfast sandwhiches. These breakfast sandwiches are quick and easy to make, and also keep well in the freezer.
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 English Muffins
- 6 Slices American cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 6-12 sausage patties, 1-2 per sandwich depending on preferences.
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Melt butter in skillet oven medium heat
Pour beaten eggs, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir eggs often and cook until set into soft curds, about 3-4 mins over medium heat.
- Remove eggs from heat and set aside.
- Build your sandwiches with meat, egg and cheese.
- Cook in the oven for a slightly toasted sandwich for about 8 min, or put into microwave just long enough to melt the cheese, about 30 sec
- To reheat: Cook in oven for 8-10 minutes, microwave for 1-2 minutes, or Air Fry for 5-6 minutes. Add several more minutes if frozen.
These breakfast sandwhiches are great to prepare ahead of time and have as a freezer meal.
To store in freezer, Wrap in plastic wrap and then place inside of gallon zip lock bags. Make sure you put the date on the bag. These will keep for 3-4 weeks in the freezer.
These can also be made the night before for a quick breakfast on the way out the door. Wrap individually in tin foil after building, and reheat in oven or air fryer.
Feel free to make these English muffin breakfast sandwhiches your own! You can try adding bacon or canadian bacon, and your favorite types of cheese.
You can also add your favorite veggies like sauteed spinach, mushroooms, tomatoes, peppers, or onions to this great sandwich - and skip the meat for a vegetarian option.